Postgraduate Diploma Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics is benchmark platform bringing together the fields of life science, computer science and statistics to promote Knowledge and technology transfer applied in molecular genetics, proteomics and genomics.
It deals with collection, classification, storage, analysis of biochemical and biological information sets using computer software.
One of the basic operations in Bioinformatics is searching for similarities or homologies, between newly sequenced DNA segments from various organisms. Such operations require apt combined skills in biology and information technology to collect and analyze data related to genetic mapping.
- Bridge the gap in bioinformatics trained manpower to provide services to industry, research and academic institutions.
- Equip graduates with skills necessary for application in gene and protein sequence analyses at primary level, secondary structure prediction, protein 3D structure modelling, evolutionary studies based on phylogenetic algorithms, protein-protein interaction and protein legend docking.
- Introduce students to the interdisciplinary nature of bioinformatics, computational biology, storage and retrieval of various biological databases.
- Enable students to:
- Understand algorithms of pair-wise and multiple sequence alignment and scoring schemes
- Develop expertise in bioinformatics related to industry and academic institutions
- Understand various aspects of molecular modeling and drug design
- Deal with experience on dry lab and wet lab experiments
Expected Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the programme, the successful candidate will be able to:
- Identify the structural organization of genes and the control of gene Expression.
- Identify the mechanisms of genomics and proteomics.
- Analyze complex protein samples and proteomic interactions in complex diseases.
- Interpret biological information computationally.
- Analyze genomic data.
- Apply functional genomics techniques to analyze biological system data Master the applications of sequencing Technologies.
- Applicant must satisfy the general regulations set by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Scientific Research of the National University-Sudan for registration for Higher Diploma.
- Eligible domains are: Science, Biochemistry, Physics, Zoology, Botany, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biotechnology, Agriculture, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, Medical Laboratories Sciences, Dentistry, Information Technology, Animal Sciences, Ecology, Radiology Sciences, Health Informatics, and Computer Sciences.
- Eligible Candidates are holders of:
- B.Sc. (General) with grade Good at least.
- B.Sc. (General) Third Class with grade Pass in addition to a qualifying of 12 credit hours.